1965 Martin D-28

In November 1967, during the filming of the Beatles “Hello Goodbye” video, John Lennon is seen playing a 1965 Martin D-28 flattop guitar.
C.F. Martin & Company was established in 1833 by Christian Frederick Martin. The company's headquarters and primary factory are situated in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. It’s notable that the company has been run by the Martin family throughout its entire history. Martin is highly regarded for its steel-string guitars and is a leading mass-manufacturer of flattop acoustics. The Martin Company has, arguably, been credited for developing the “X-bracing” system during the 1850s. Although C. F. Martin did not apply for a patent on this bracing system, the Martin Company was most certainly the first to use X-bracing on a large scale.
Martin flattop guitars were built in a variety of sizes. The D-28 (D for Dreadnaught and 28 representing the style number) is considered the Dreadnought by which all others are measured. This model has been a favorite of musicians such as Hank Williams Sr., Elvis Presley and Jimmy Page. It’s easy to understand that the booming bass response balanced with clear highs makes the D-28 a benchmark acoustic guitar.
The 1965 D-28 had the following specs: 25.4" scale; Dreadnaught size body; double bound; Black/White binding with white grained outer layer; heavier X-bracing (to enable heavier gauge strings); narrow chain-link back stripes; 1-11/16" nut; spruce top; Brazilian rosewood back and sides; 14 fret mahogany neck; ebony finger board; large graduated sized dot inlays; 20 frets; ebony “belly” bridge; "snake eye" bridge pins with tortoise shell (red) dots inlayed; short bridge saddle, referred to as the "drop-in" bridge saddle; silkscreened "CF Martin & Co, Est. 1833" peg head logo; “C.F. Martin & Co, Narareth Pa” stamp with "MADE IN U.S.A." designation on the center back strip (visible through the sound hole); Grover Rotomatic tuners; tortoise shell pick guard; and serial number stamped inside on neck block.
Paul McCartney would soon acquire his own D-28, a 1967 model, built right-handed that he would have set up for left-handed playing. Both, Lennon and McCartney would take their D-28’s along with them to India in February 1968 for their extended “meditation” stay. The duo would use their flattops to compose most of the songs for their next release, known as the “White” album. Indeed, the D-28’s quickly took their place alongside the group’s Gibson J-160E’s on Beatles recordings.  In early 1969, during filming of the "Let It Be" movie, Lennon's D-28 can be spotted with it's pick guard removed.
The vintage 1965 Martin D-28 in our collection is identical to John Lennon’s guitar.

TheBeatlesGear.com is not endorsed or affiliated with The Beatles or Apple Corps. Ltd.


Images and Text from this website may not be reproduced without prior written approval.

HOME
Lennon and McCartney in India with their Martin D-28 guitars.

1950s | 1960 | 1961 | 1962 | 1963 | 1964 | 1965 | 1966 | 1967 | 1968 | 1969 | 1970

Lennon performing in the “Hello Goodbye” video with his D-28.
Lennon’s D-28 in 1969 with the pickguard removed.